The shrub is usually light syrup prepared from fruit, and vinegar needs to be added to preserve it. It packs a subtle kick of tart cranberries, tangy apple cider vinegar, and savories sage that is balanced by the extra sweet maple syrup. We decided to add in a bit more zing by coupling it with cannabis tincture and some fizz, which makes for a wonderful holiday mocktail. You can customize the strength of the liquid as per your liking. It is a perfect drink for your next celebration party.
2 cups (0.47 liters) of the shrub are enough for eight mocktails
Ingredients you will need
- Frozen or fresh cranberries 2 C
- Black peppercorns 2T
- Water 1C
- One cinnamon stick
- Fine Sea Salt ¼ t
- Apple Cider Vinegar 1 c
- Pure Maple Cyrus ½ c
- 15 fresh sage leaves
- Mulling spice (orange peel, whole allspice berries, whole cloves) 1 t
- For each serving of mocktail
- Cranberry shrub (2 ounces) 4T
- Sparkling water ½ c
- 5 mg cannabis tincture
You can add slices of orange, whole cranberries, sage leaf for garnishing
How to Make
- Take the black peppercorn, water, cinnamon stick, water, and mulling spice and bring it to a simmer. As you heat, cranberries will sputter and pop. Then you should reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the liquid turns bright red. It will take around 10 minutes.
- Move the pan off the heat. Add the sage leaves and break them down with a wooden spoon. Leave the mixture to sit and cool for 5 minutes.
- In the next step, add maple syrup and salt. Mix well to get the salt dissolved, strain the mix using a sieve to a big measuring cup. Use a wooden spoon to squeeze the cranberries avoids crushing the solid parts of the berries. Remove the cranberries. Put apple cider mixture and mix well. Cool the mixture thoroughly and transfer it to a glass jar.
- If you want to prepare a mocktail to add 4T shrub along with 5 mg cannabis tincture (choose the strength of your liking), add ice and sparkling water. Add garnishing as per your taste.